January 11, 2007

The Very Best Music of 2006: #5


#5
Arctic Monkeys
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm No

If you’ve been keeping up with these posts, you’ll remember I have a friend who goes by the name of Peffer. The first time I met him we were at a party which, like most parties I attended back in the day, was semi-professionally DJ’d by yours truly. On this particular day I was feeling Money Mark. I didn’t have a lot of friends so I was hoping his no name status but kick ass music would be a great conversation starter. As soon as I put it in Peffer turns around and says “Is this Money Mark?” I confirm his inquiry and we both agree that Money Mark does, in fact, kick ass. You’ve heard of love at first sight? Well this was the same kind of thing…minus the love and gayness. I knew right then and there that this guy knew his stuff and if we stayed in touch we could have some great talks about music. To this day we go back and forth over new and old bands. On March 1st (I only know this because I wrote a review of it on the same day) Peffer told me about this new British band called the Arctic Monkeys. I downloaded it and instantly, just like that, feel head over heels for this band. I am not going to go in depth on the band here. I feel that my review from March 1st gives an accurate description as to my feelings towards the Arctic Monkeys. I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you that even I get albums recommended to me. The key is to find that person whose opinion you trust and when you do, you take their opinion seriously. I am sharing the key to finding great music here. Some people like to listen to Sirius for hours on end and that works to. Obviously no one has a better understanding of what you’re going to like better than yourself. I guess what I am trying to say is that I get a great deal of pleasure knowing that some of you take my opinion seriously. For me I get no better satisfaction than knowing I just helped someone find a new song or band that that person is going to love. So without much more delay (the reviews will be ready by this weekend) I give you the TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2006!!

No comments: