October 03, 2006

Day 3

Sufjan Stevens – Seven Swans
A Valentines Day present I received. It was quiet and interesting, 2 qualities that started my morning off right.


Jeff Buckley – Grace
I just recently bought his fabulous ‘Live at Sin-e’ double disc that I was hoping would completely envelop me in a blanket of Buckley on the trip. Alas, I loaned it to the one friend I knew never returns cds until I rummage through her room and stumble upon them. So I had to make due with this eternal favorite.


Wilco – Kicking In The Television Live in Chicago
I needed more Wilco, and I couldn’t decide which album I wanted to hear. So I went for the one with all the favorites and a whole lot more intensity. This one is also on my best of 2005 list.


(Sidenote: Around this time I start going a little crazy. I’m not talking to myself or anything, but North Dakota is really the most dismal state of the United. Not one hill, animal, tree, gas station, person, house…anything. Just a long road and a bunch of fields. Sad to say, I also got a little tired of listening to my music. This was the day some of you received a phone call from me. So if you notice this day doesn’t have as much music as the others its because I was on the phone a lot.)


Beastie Boys – The In Sound From Way Out
Why not. There was nothing else to do. May as well pretend I’m stoned and listen to some trippy shit.


White Mud Free Way – Last Years Trash
Great album. I listened to it in Serenity’s car cause I needed a break from driving for an hour or so. It was her pick and it was a great one at that


Ani Difranco – Dilate
An old favorite that didn’t really fill the car with the sound I was looking for. I think I listened the first 4 songs then took it out. Sorry Ani.


Bright Eyes – Lifted
Conor Oburst was the sound I was looking for. A nice sing along to get out my emotions on a beautiful sunny day going through the Rockies. It was kind of hard to sing along though cause my ears kept popping and I was constantly adjusting the volume. I still had an enjoyable time with this album.


Elliott Smith – From a Basement on the Hill
I keep telling myself No Elliott. I didn’t want to slip into the pool of emotional hell that I usually do when I listen to him on a 4 day road trip. But this album isn’t that bad. It was great to hear a familiar voice and I love every song on the mans last album. An eye opener every time you listen to it. XO


Snow Patrol – Final Straw
It was either the new album or the old favorite. And I was in no mood to dissect a new album. I was in need of a companion. This did the trick.


Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness – Twilight to Starlight
A masterpiece of an album that I haven’t listened to with this kind of intensity in ages. Every song that came on was like a lightning bolt of memory. I couldn’t believe I forgot about such a classic album. Truthfully the most appropriate album of the day. So perfect in fact, that the last song ended about 5 seconds after I put the car in park at our campsite (no joke). It was just what the doctor ordered. We got a cabin that night instead of setting up the tent. It was nice to sleep on an actual bed.

No comments: