April 08, 2006

New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

Everyone knows my little brother Timmy. Now it doesn’t happen often, but every now and then Timmy will come into my room and recommend an artist. How it usually works is I give it a quick listen and more often than not disregard it. He’ll be the first to tell you and I hate to admit this, but that’s been the case for many artists that I now appreciate (Talib Kweli, Deftones, Tenacious D, and The White Stripes). When he came to me years ago and told me to check out the New Radicals, I practically laughed in his face. Instantly considering them a one hit wonder (which it turns out, they were), I didn’t take Timmy’s recommendation seriously. Until now, 7 years later, I’ve got $6 in my pocket and I’m desperately searching record archive for the newest album to extend my collection. The only thing that popped out was this bright yellow cover. I figured I’ve been wrong about Timmy’s tastes in the past and maybe this would be no exception, so I bought it and put it in the stereo when I got home.

3 days later, I find myself going crazy over this thing. One hit wonder on the radio…maybe, but trust me when I say there are many more gems on “Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too”. The first 4 songs all could have gotten radio play in my book. If you’re the kind of person that doesn’t sing in the shower but dances and sings while they get dressed, then the first few songs are perfect for you. The New Radicals have a very emotionally invigorating album. Though the whole album isn’t remarkable, it certainly has it positives. Both “Mother We Just Can’t Get Enough” and “I Hope I Didn’t Just Give Away The Ending” are worth my $5.40. The best part is that this will always be considered a one hit wonder so you will regularly find it in the cheap cd bin.

I’ve learned a few things with this album. The first is I need to respect my little brothers opinion more. If he says I’ll like it, chances are I will. Secondly, that one hit wonders can still have substance under the surface.

No comments: