January 08, 2006

The Best of 2005: 21-24

21: Gorillaz - Demon Days
The oh so catchy songs from the band's second full length album push this cd into my best of 2005. Everyone remembers the head bobbing "Feel Good Inc." from the Ipod commercial that became a huge single for the band. Songs like "Dirty Harry", "Last Living Souls", and "Dare" really make this album a nice follow up to their 2001 self titled release. You can always count on the gorillaz to find that beat that makes you want to sing from the roof of your car (I know its not professional to include inside jokes in your reviews, but then again, I'm not that professional)






22: The Mars Volta - Scab Dates
Releasing 2 albums in one year was a big jump forward for the up and coming Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. This cd captures the sounds of The Mars Volta in a live concert. What must be a visual experience live is, on cd, quite bizarre and hard to listen to even for a huge Volta fan like myself. If you can handle listening to 20 minutes of amazing music mixed in with an hour of filler, then give this a shot. The dragged out concert still makes the list cause if listened to, it still has an amazing sound that only Omar and Cedric can produce.





23: And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Worlds Apart
I hate to write reviews of cd's that I don't own, but this cd has to make the list. I've heard this album and luckly it has a different sound but same brilliance as their first album, "Source Tags & Codes". It's hasn't been highly regarded as a great album, but I loved what I heard.










24: Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Oasis finally came out with a new album this year, and for most people it was impressing. A different sound for them that was praised for being original. Even though the album sounds good, I lost a lot of respect for it purely on the fact that it was hailed as unique when this 70's style velvet underground droning and sound has already been done by numerous bands. Basically, they took something that's been proven by bands like Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols, and tried to cash in on it. I know its been done a hundred times by a thousand bands, but this particular one pissed me off.

No comments: